Monday, October 27, 2008

The Name of the Week

One of my current projects here at the Care Center is to go through every past employee's file and organize them into the lovely new file cabinets that I had put into my office. Although a rather tedious task, this will mark the first attempts EVER by the care center to organize the past employee files. YAY ME!!

It's interesting to read through old files. Old, long-forgotten dramas return to life as I read through them. Entertainment at its finest. Amusing, really, that we are still dealing with the same kind of shit! *ahem* Some things never change.

Anyhow, the inspiration for my blogging is a last name that a former employee has. As a child I always imagined that, when married, I'd have a lovely new last name and it would be so romantic... blah blah blah... In reality, my married name is rather humorous. Nice, short, commonly used in every day English. I am sure many Americans use my last name in their conversations on a daily basis. I really like my name. But there was always a list of last names that I told myself I COULDN'T take, if ever my future love had them. Examples: "Butts". "Dick". Last names that make you giggle because of the gross connotations. My grandmother's first married name was "Pead". Seems safe enough except for the afternoon her neighbors were organizing a church dinner. They were handing out the food assignments and said "Eva Pead, a jello salad." HA! Thank goodness my father is the descendant of the second husband! Oh, and my mother's maiden name is "Blow". Couldn't do that one either. I've got a new one to add to the list. HOW could anyone keep this name?




Growcock.


Yikes! I could not, in good conscience, pass this name on to one of my children. EVER. Thank goodness, for more than one reason, I don't have to.

No comments: