Sometimes my life needs guidance by outside forces. Having my position at the care center absorbed by other departments was one of those nudges.
I spent the past few years at the care center hating my job off and on. Knowing that I should look for a better company, yet feeling loyalty to residents and staff that I had been with for almost eight years. Now that the company I was loyal too for so long decided this loyalty was one-sided and sent me on my way, I was forced to do something I had been contemplating doing for so long. It must have been destiny, really, since things have worked out so well.
Before I even had all my personal items boxed and in my car that final day, I knew where I would go. And I did. I came home and applied that very night. I'll refer to this wonderful new place as "The Lab" for lack of a better or more creative name. Granted, its more than just 'a lab', but the nickname will suffice. It's been less than a month and I'm already started at my new company. My new CAREER, even. Day One of Orientation was today. Here are the main things that stood out for me from all the info I had to soak up:
1) Over 100 people applied for my specific position. I was chosen. I was called the "Cream of the Crop" today. I can't express what that did for my self-esteem.
2) The Orientation I did for new employees at the care center was put to absolute SHAME by the amazing, enjoyable, high-tech training I had today. Wow.
3) There is a free gym at my new workplace, complete with free personal trainers. The only part I'll have to pay for are the massages. $10 for 15 minutes. Nice.
4) No matter WHAT subject I study, The Lab will pay at least 75% of my tuition. If I enter a med tech position, they will pay 100% of my studies. I could take sign language. Or art. Or foreign language. Home Economics. Doesn't matter. They'll reimburse. They want us to further our education! They would offer the same benefits to my spouse too (and any future children!) Of course, DH is already employed there.
5) Ergonomic Specialists will do whatever they can to make sure that my work station is suited to MY specific needs. Amazing. I couldn't even get the care center to get me a new chair, let alone a computer for my desk. I had to provide those things for myself if I wanted them.
6) I have a fancy name badge, complete with colored photo, that grants me access to numerous computerized doors that will only open for authorized personnel. High Tech fun!
7) The cafeteria there is awesome. Decent food, too. And vending machines everywhere full of rather healthy looking goodies. Oh, and those machines take credit cards, for the record. Oooh. Aaaah!
8) The benefits at The Lab are AMAZING!! Seriously. I'll learn more about them on Tuesday but more than one person in my training today admitted that they had applied there specifically for the benefits that are offered.
9) The Lab has been given the honor of being one of the Top 100 Companies to Work For by a well-known magazine in recent years. Finally, they received a letter from the publisher saying that because the government technically owned The Lab, they couldn't be placed on the list any more. Otherwise, they'd still be listed, I'm sure. Apparently they are the top lab in the country. Sweet deal!
10) I only work four days a week. Four 10-hour shifts. And down the road I'll have the option to work 7-on/7-off if I want to. Both of those are improved hours. Yes!
______________
There is so much more I could say, really. But I'll sum it up with
"I'm SO FREAKIN' EXCITED!!" --- *ahem*
I still miss the care center. I keep thinking of things that should be getting done, then realize its not my worry. Part of me hopes its all happening so that everything goes smoothly. Of course, the little devil on my shoulder is glad a few things will go un-done and cause problems. I want them to miss me and regret sending me on my way. After all, I was good to them for a long, long time. And I'd have stayed that way for a long while to come, I'm sure. But they were fools and let me go.
And now, I feel like I've won a prize somehow.
Ms.B
Thursday, February 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








3 comments:
It's and awesome place to work... and think of the fringe benefits of sleeping with one of the trainers.
DH
Mr. O! You never told me it was such a great place to work!
Ms. B, luv, I'm so glad you've finally had this shake-up and you are where you should have been all along. And OF COURSE you're the cream of the crop! Did you ever doubt that? Congrats! I'm thrilled for you! You know this is a bad economy and unemployment is on the rise... and you waltz right in to a coveted position with AWESOME benefits. You rule!
Also, I completely understand that little devil on your shoulder. *wink*
-smarmoofus
Yay!!! This is such good news and I'm really happy for you!
Post a Comment