Friday, February 2, 2007

I feel so... wanted

One of the many duties in my position at work includes being an Aide to the Speech Pathologist who works with our residents. There is no shiney frame holding a Speech Pathology diploma on my wall, rather my role is acting as the eyes and ears of the professional. Conveniently enough, my consultant also works at a nearby facility that is very similar to ours and this facility is always visited by the State Survey team prior to our own yearly survey.

This year, there was a lot of focus on dietary issues which is one of the areas that I, the Speech Aide, monitor. Both of our facilities have been doing a good job of ensuring that each resident is on the most appropriate texture of food. The issue that state has is that we need to be checking the residents on a regular basis to make sure that someone who has puree-textured food isn't able to eat ground food just as easily. The goal is that everyone be on the least restrictive diet possible. It's understandable that we should monitor this. When I am an 90 year old granny is a nursing home some day they better not be giving me mooshed up shit to eat if I am capable of gumming up regular food just fine. ACK!

My consultant has an easy "fix" for state's problem. We just have to document our efforts. In a matter of minutes, I created a form that we are now using for data collection on recent barrium swallow studies, doctor recommendations, and staff observations. If all goes well, the members of the survey team will think we are grand and we'll avoid being written out on that issue. The form I made is rather convenient. So convenient, in fact, that my consultant wanted a copy to use at the other facility as well.

During our meeting yesterday, she mentioned needing some assistance at that facility due to the staff there being slightly less than helpful. (Those are my nice words, she was less appreciative of them though she remained completely professional in her demeanor as we spoke.) She asked if I would be interested in a second job over there. I admitted that the money might be really useful since we are wanting to do some additional re-modeling to the Haven in the near future. The idea of being able to easily afford to re-carpet the small bedroom and basement Hallway is very appealing to me. The fence around the back-yard also needs some attention in the near future. Perhaps this other job could be very beneficial. So I told my consultant, (I'll call her Mrs. Rich), that I might be interested and to let me know exactly what would be expected of me. I anticipated that she would fill me in at our meeting the following week.

No sooner had I sat down at my desk this morning when I received a phone call from Mrs. Rich telling me all about the hours expected and what I'd need to do. She asked if I could call the administrator of the other facility and arrange to start as soon as possible.

!!! ??? AHHH!

I asked Mrs. Rich for the phone number and told her I'd be in touch. I've not called yet, but I did phone DH and ask him if he thought it was a good idea. A second job isn't a smart move if you don't have the support of your spouse. The mention of extra cash for the carpet and fence seemed a good temptation for him as well and since he sleeps during the day and the second job would also provide extra snoozing for him before I arrived home each evening, I suppose it wasn't too hard to twist his arm. I am now procrastinating the call and blogging instead. It's not that I don't want the job. It's a great opportunity. I just want to be sure I'm not losing my marbles. Am I too lazy to work a 10 hour day multiple times a week? I have friends who work 16 hours, 6 days a week, or more. Of course, they are insane so I hate to compare myself to them.

What the heck, why not go for it? I can always quit if it becomes too much. I just need to be sure to talk to my boss here so he doesn't find out I'm working at the other place through the grapevine. I am not sure why, but the two buildings are very competitive and Mrs. Rich told me that there is a good chance that the other place is most likely going to try to steal me. I can't imagine them matching what I make at my wonderful job, and even if they did, I have been here long enough that I earn quite a bit of vacation a year and as a management staff, I also have perks with regards to sick pay. I must make sure my boss knows where my loyalties lie.

And then I'll sit back and enjoy the attempts of the other administrator. It's always nice to feel wanted. Now where the hell did I put that phone number?


Ms.B

No comments: