One of my titles at the care center is that of Human Resource Manager. For the past two years I’ve struggled to hire people and get all the shifts fully staffed. Although there has been minor success at times, I’ve made the following observation: Swing Shift wants to be short-handed. Less than 5 minutes ago the supervisor of that very shift was standing outside of my office door complaining that there were only 4 staff working today. (Normally there are 11). It took every ounce of my self-control to keep from sticking my head out the door and telling the poor supervisor that if she would stop creating cliques within her shift and treated the people who were hired like human beings she might not be short-handed. If I were to count the number of people hired for Swing during the past two years, the averages would look something like this:
# of new staff hired: 10
# of staff who quit the first week after being treated poorly: 3
# of staff who quit after the first month because of being left out of the cliques: 2
# of staff who changed to another shift: 4
# of staff who actually stayed on Swing Shift: 1
There might be some times where they averaged TWO people staying on the shift, however it is rare enough that I hardly dare mention it. The supervisor has been talked to about treating the new peeps well on numerous occasions with no success. I understand that there are going to be staff hired who are genetically programmed to be flaky and not succeed in the work place. But the percentage of failure on this particular shift is just overwhelmingly horrible. I’ve personally seen Swing Shifters snap at new employees, as well as people helping out from other shifts/departments. I’ve heard the rumors and lies that spread through a building when they, the Swing Shift Regulars, decided they didn’t like the cut of the new guy’s jibe.
Can anyone else please explain to me why it is that this occurs? Why? Oh, WHY!?!? I am starting to think I work with morons. I wonder what that says about me.
Ms.B








No comments:
Post a Comment