I've often wondered what it would be like to experience a day as one of my cats, specifically Fluffy, our little wood-pile kitten. Her days are full of mystery and excitement. Adventure and fun.
She bravely comes in the bathroom when the scary hair dryer is on and stubbornly stays in the room while the vacuum is running. Seconds later she is startled by a shadow on the wall, swells like a puffer fish and zooms across the house to the safety of the cat tree. Heaven help anyone if they happen to be standing between her and that tree.
She loves her cat tree. My father built it for me years ago from some large tubes, wood, and old carpet. She climbs it all day long and sleeps in the little loft. From the moment we brought her home she figured out that this was the place to scratch and claw. So smart. When perched on the very top shelf she is eye level with my DH. Fluffy feels like Queen of the World on that perch.
She spends her nights with the other two cats, romping around the house and creating chaos. Her days are spent plotting the many different ways to attack the three dogs and her two people. We walk from room to room constantly on guard. Daily we see her ride one of the dogs bareback up the hall; Fluffy desperately hanging on as the dog tries to buck her off. Yee HAW!
If something is moving, it must be investigated. If it is jiggling it must be attacked. My husband learned these truths this morning as he stood by our kitchen table in the buff. OUCH! I bet he'll wear his underwear from now on!
I've never had a cat that followed me around and sat at my feet before. And when she battles with you she doesn't use her claws. Granted, the teeth are bad enough so there are no complaints. We suspect that she learned this technique because she spends more time rough housing with the dogs. She's never thought about using the claws when playing.
It's been interesting to watch her carve out her territory in our home.
People sometimes ask me how I can live with so many pets. I wish I could find a way to convey to them how interesting it is. Three dogs. Three cats. And not two of them alike.
I feel sorry for folks that don't appreciate the joy an animal (or 6) can bring.
Ms.B
Wednesday, July 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








No comments:
Post a Comment