Tuesday, July 3, 2007

What's in a name...

For the past few weeks I've been worrying about my grandmother, Eva. She's always been a very strong woman but suddenly, about a month ago, her mind started to go. Paranoia rules her day and she has my father and aunts very concerned.

Ironically, there is a woman I work with who happens to have the same first name as my grandmother. She too is a little loony at times. I love her to death and am grateful that I share an office with people I enjoy. So please understand that I call her "loony" with love. :-) For a while I wondered if she was just losing her hearing. I tried talking softly to her a number of times and she heard me just fine... even with background noise.

Today I was talking to some people in our office about doing a facility walk-through (where we look for problems that need to be addressed) and I mentioned that I was going to re-do the form for them so they would be easier. Not 10 seconds later, Co-worker Eva turned to me and said "Did you make that new walk-through yet?"

*awkward silence*

Um.... no.

I left the room to look up something in one of the charts and returned a few minutes later holding a helmet. "Look, guys! I just found *Frank's helmet in the Chart Room. It's been missing for months!" Without missing a beat, Eva turned and said "That's a neat new helmet. Who is it for?"

Last week I told her I was going to the break room to heat up my lunch and that I would be back in 5 minutes. Since no one was using the microwave, my absence from the office was more like 3 minutes. When I returned, Co-Worker Eva got all flustered and said she had just sent away some potential applicants. When asked 'Why??' she told me that she thought I had gone out to lunch and wouldn't be back for an hour.

Just now she turned to me and said (and I quote!) "Is '12:10' a.m. or p.m.?"

(She was NOT referring to military time, for the record.)


Ms.B

*Name changed to protect the innocent... or guilty, whichever he may be.

No comments: