It's been one year now since I was laid off from the care center.
At first I was sad-- angry. Then... after quite a long time, I was suddenly really grateful.
I've not been back there since that fateful day. But I can imagine that its pretty much the same way it was when I left. Some things just never change.
I had wanted to move on for a long time. I felt trapped. Stuck.
Loyal? Maybe.
It took a boss (who disliked me, regardless of if he'd ever admit it) finding a loop-hole to get rid of me in order for me to be gone. And its okay. Really. They couldn't fire me for work performance (though I'm sure I made a convenient scape-goat for things that wrong the first few weeks) and that comforts me. I took pride in what I did. Tried to improve things. I was able to provide tons of information to my employer before I walked out the door. Left them without any un-finished business, undone assessments, etc. My data was current. My splints were clean and organized. My paperwork was solid!
My only fear now is that my personal file is in a cardboard box in a bathroom somewhere. Please, for the love of all that is holy, let someone have filed last year's employee files in the organized cupboards I created before I was canned.
This past Monday I received a "bling" for my name badge in honor of my upcoming one year anniversary at The Lab. How fun to think its already been that long since I found my way to them. A year full of constant positive feedback, monthly 1:1s with a supervisor, endless oportunities to expand my knowledge-- the list could go on and on.
I feel bad for others who have experienced that same 'trapped' feeling and don't know how to make a break for the sweet freedom that could await them. Fear is a powerful emotion. It can really keep someone from reaching for the stars.
And, in my opinion, the stars are the best place to be.
Ms.B
Thursday, January 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








No comments:
Post a Comment