Monday, October 15, 2007

Sweet Memories

Sissy, Spooky, Fluffy (the 1st), Patches, Shiner, Sunny, Spunky...

My childhood was full of pets that stayed a while and then eventually were gone. Sissy the shephard mix stayed in Wyoming when my family moved out of state. She eventually died of tumors. Spooky, the black cat, had a run in with some nasty dogs. Fluffy had to go away when we temporarily shared a home with a family who's father was allergic to cats. Patches vanished a couple of years after we got him. My parents insist they did nothing to encourage the exit. He simply went away... Shiner was stolen out of our yard. Sunny and Spunky were very naughty puppies and went to "live on the farm" one day. Oh my!

But Jazz. Little Jazz. She was the 'lifer'. The long-term pet of the Turner family. The pups I had growing up were all mix breeds and I really didn't know much about purebred canines other than to recognize a Dalmation or Collie. When my parents came home with a little white and black poofball one day I thought it was a cat.

"What's a 'Pomeranian'?" I asked them.

Jazz quickly fell into her routine with our family. She was our friend, companion, and doorbell. Barked her brains out if she even thought she saw a shadow outside the front window near our door. But between her 'loud' (and annoying as hell) moments she was so sweet and loving. Instinctively she understood when we were in need of comfort. She knew when to leave us alone. She knew when we dropped a french fry on the floor. I suppose she was our vacuum too. If ever we dropped any food we knew "Jazz will get it!"

She passed away last year at fifteen years of age. My parents decided there would not be any new pets. They say the decision was made because they didn't want responsibilities but I suspect they don't think they could really replace her.

Time brings comfort and the lingering happy memories. I have a band of pets of my own that take up all my attention. But when a co-worker brought in her brand new (black) Pomeranian pup last week my heart went pitty pat and all my emotions and love for Jazz came flooding back.

Happy tears in my eyes.


Ms.B

No comments: