Wednesday, October 17, 2007

When Gossip Backfires

Every few days, the new dietary manager plops down in our office for a chat. He's a decent enough guy. Worked here at the care center about 18 years ago as a cook before marrying one of the caseworkers and moving on with his life. Fate led him back to us when Mr. PBM needed to be replaced and he's settled back into routine, now as the boss, and is doing well.

He enjoys our office because we are a friendly bunch. He is always telling me stories about his ex-wife, friends, daughter, childhood, etc. etc. etc...

Having worked here many years ago, he happens to have a few juicy stories about old staff members that he can tell as well.

And thus it was that yesterday he told me about a prior (married) employee that had enjoyed many a steamy affair with some of his old co-workers in the kitchen. Of course the names of these people rolled off his tongue with little effort and he was enjoying sharing the scandals.

It was not until he had finished his tale that I pointed out that one of the adulterous men in his story had married the SISTER of the woman he had the affair with. And that another of the woman's sisters now worked in our business office... and was married to a brother of that same man! Sisters married to brothers. How cute is that? (If you don't know the sordid back-history?) I also updated him on the fact that all three daughters of the woman who had this steamy affair now worked on the same shift here and it might be in his best interest to not share that story with anyone else.

Thank goodness I'm the only one he talked to. Double thank goodness I am not likely to repeat it... except, of course, on my blog where, blissfully, I am anonymous.

I wonder if he would have blabbed about this if he realized I knew nearly every single person he was talking about.


Ms.B

No comments: