Monday, August 11, 2008

How to keep company from staying at your house.... ever.



Get a pet snake!

I have to admit that snakes used to bother me a little. Mostly because I wondered at what point they were going to try to bite me. But so far Salazar has been a gentleman. He's not as socialized as he could be (we'll work on it!) but he minds his own business and expects us to do the same.

He shows interest in us as we go about our business during the day. Sal naps most of that time but he makes sure to curl up inside of his hollow log in such a way that he can watch us through the glass.

He has one little quirk that I am still adjusting to. He doesn't like frozen mice. Granted, they are thawed when he get them, but he just isn't a fan. He will only eat what he can catch himself. I had hoped we'd not have to deal with that, especially since I used to keep mice and rats as pets. Now what was once a member of the zoo has become lunch. It boggles my mind a bit. I don't let DH show me Lunch until he or she is already in Salazar's bin and about to be snacked on. Otherwise I might grab the mouse and make a run for it.

FREEDOM!! RUN!! Don't let the four cats nab ya as you make a break for the door!!

Thank goodness he doesn't have a preference for COLORS of mice. A video I watched on youtube was narrated by the snake's owner who shared that his particular snake prefered only male, white, live mice. Not sure exactly why... or how the snake would realize a mouse was male. Well, WE all know exactly how you tell its male. It's rather obvious. But why would a snake care? What would that snake do in the wild? Oh yes, he would STARVE!


Ms.B

No comments: