Saturday, August 9, 2008

Nom nom nom...

She stared at the object on the end of her fork with a combination of interest and disgust. It must be somewhat good. There is a whole dish of them over at the buffet. Ewww!

Her husband rolled his eyes and tried not to give too much attention to what was on her fork. That's gross. Do NOT eat that!, he said.

She stared at the strange item a while longer and then set her fork down on her plate. It's too nasty. I can't do it!! It would feel so weird in my mouth!!

Good. Leave it alone. I'm trying to eat!, the husband said playfully.

She continued to push the 'food' around her plate as he finished his meal. Finally he could take no more. He set his napkin down on his plate with finality and indicated that he had lost his appetite.

The wife unfolded a paper napkin and laid it over the top of her plate while the husband hummed some funeral music. Suddenly she got playful and holding the napkin in one hand in front of her face, brought the item up to her mouth, hidden from her husband's view.

Although she was a little disturbed that her fork was so close to her mouth, she kept a twinkle in her eye as she pretended to eat. The husband's eyes were wide with disbelief.

You wouldn't!

Impulsively she nibbed on one of the legs. It was tough, like chewing on spongy jerky. She became more bold and used her teeth to saw off a bite and tentatively began to chew.

It was horrid. It was foul. It was rubbery. She could feel the suction cups roll around on her tongue.

The husband did not realize she had really taken a bite. He was chuckling as she set her fork back down and re-covered the plate with the napkin.

After a few minutes she could take it no more. She grabbed another napkin and emptied her mouth into it.

The husband's jaw dropped when he saw she had really been chewing on the leg.

They both sat in stunned silence.

___________________________________

DH and I tried the new Chinese Buffet near the Haven tonight. I highly recommend the fruit bar and the fried rice.

Avoid the whole baby octopus at all costs.

*shudder*

Ms.B

8 comments:

smarmoofus said...

I had baby octopus on a salad in France several years ago. Rubbery is right! Blech! I think they only chopped up legs (tentacles?) for the salad, as that's all I seemed to be eating. I don't know what they did with the rest of the animal. But blech... I don't remember the flavor. All I can remember is the texture. Ack! The texture!

-smarmoofus

Ms.Behaved said...

You are so lucky. At least they attempted to distract you from what you were eating by removing the face!

I know I punished myself by scooping the little guy up onto my plate as I passed that particular part of the buffet. Part of me just wanted to see DH's face when I plopped my plate down on our table. (Worth it! SO WORTH IT!!) But Eeeeh!

It was the whole thing. I even gave DH an anatomy lesson by pointing out where the ink would shoot out from. I got to look up inside of its head too since there was a slice through its neck. MMM... YUM!!

Ms.Behaved said...

Oh, and for the record, what I munched on HAD no flavor. I could have just as easily been chewing on a bicycle tire tube. Granted, the octopus might be slightly more digestible. Slightly.

Little Miss Drinkalot said...

They obviously didn't cook it right. I've had pretty delicious ones here!!! Alternatively, you could do the Korean/Jap (?) way and eat 'em LIVE!!!

Ms.Behaved said...

*laughs*

LMD, I read your post to the DH and his exact response was:

"Ew ew ew ew ew EWWWWW!!"

He then ran from the room saying something about how he couldn't eat anything that wiggled around in his mouth. That everything he eats MUST be dead.

If ever I win the lottery and begin world travel I will go to Singapore. You can tell where to go to try some properly prepared, fresh seafood. It will be therapy so I can put yesterday's traumatic experience behind me.

Little Miss Drinkalot said...

Oh no, you don't put the live octopus in your mouth - you just twirl it round a chopstick and let it sliiiide down the throat.

Ms.Behaved said...

Oh, sounds delicious! Sign me up!


ACK ACK ACK!!


I can just imagine the devilish grin you must have had on your face as you typed "sliiiide down the throat".

*turns green*

Anonymous said...

*gags*