Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Mommy

I have a very bad habit. Well, I take that back, actually. It's not a bad habit. It keeps me sane, after all. (Well, as sane as I can be, that is.)

I like to dwell on anything BUT the actual bad drama in my life. Notice how my recent posts have been all about the animals in my life and no update on my poor, sweet crazy mother? SHAME on me!

She started chemotherapy this past Friday and her prognosis is good. We're hopeful that the treatment for the cancer in her ovaries will also help reduce or eliminate the nodules in her lungs and thyroid.

She returned to work a few weeks ago with a wig. She says that if she wears it now, folks won't notice a switch later when her hair falls out. In fact, she already buzzed her real hair down to about 1/2 inches in length just so she doesn't have to go through separation anxiety later. She had a rather dramatic look on her face the first time she whisked her "hair" from her head to display her new haircut. She's trying to be very brave about the whole situation, though I can tell she is a little scared. Who wouldn't be in this kind of situation, after all? If attitude is any indicator of survival, my Mommy is going to be just fine.

Thank heavens.

No comments: