Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Tradition

The holidays seem to bring about a lot of tradition for many families and ours is no exception. Ours is not a "baking home". Nor do we have huge festive celebrations each year. But there are a few routines that we seem to repeat. Things that seem to happen each year and will most likely continue for years to come.

For instance, there is a local store here in town that manages to stay in business year after year despite the large Walmart Chains everywhere. I never think to shop there for things I need, and imagine that many other folks are the same way, so I have no idea why the place hasn't gone out of business yet. BUT-- during the holidays it always has the best assortment of tree ornaments. Amazingly cute things. And, if you wait til the right time, they all go on sale for 60% off. I like a good deal. And I love that each year we are able to find fun new ornaments for our tree. Happy Holidays to those to DO shop at this store throughout the year so that it is there for me during the holidays!

Speaking of ornaments, we also have a tradition of getting each of our pets an ornament. Bo's is an inexpensive one we found at Walgreens. It didn't look much like him since his boxer markings are unique. But with a little craft paint I was able to make a pretty good match. I was rather proud of myself, actually. I also found an ornament for Hunny. Ebay is my hero. It's rather difficult to find Pug ornaments. Many of them are just horrid looking. I'm realistic enough to realize that many of the pugs in this world are rather goofy looking as well, but my two are beautiful (I'm a sucker for a crisp, black mask) and I expect their ornaments to be cute as well. I proudly present to you our "current canine collection":





It was bittersweet hanging Chloe, Shelly and Fluffy on the tree this year. I miss them very much. But in all of their situations, they are in a better place now, whether its Rainbow Bridge or a home where they'll get the care and love they deserve, and we can look at their little ornaments and enjoy fond memories.

Happy Holidays, everyone!

Ms.B

No comments: