Monday, December 17, 2007

What NOT to do in an interview: Part 3

The proper title of this entry might actually be: "What not to do if you want be asked to come in for an interview."

With the most expensive of all holidays looming before us, the number of applicants at the care center has drastically increased. Fortunately, most of the potential employees have been rather decent. Of course, amongst the good, there are also a few bad eggs.

This morning, for example.

I recognized the woman when she showed up because she had just called me on the phone about half an hour earlier to ask if we were hiring. She took the application from me and I assisted her, along with her husband, to the conference room so that they could sit down to fill out the papers. Half an hour later it was the husband who returned to the office and handed me the application which had been neatly filled out by the wife. Apparently it was him that was looking for work. (Strike One) As they left I placed the application on my desk and made a mental note to run it out to Mr.J, the Housekeeping Supervisor.

Moments later all hell broke loose. Mr. and Mrs. Applicant went moseying up the hallway, ignored a number of posted signs, and walk over the top of a freshly waxed (and still drying) floor that Mr.J was working on.

Mr.J: Woah, Hold on. You can't go this way!
Mrs.A: Well, we are new here and didn't know which way to go!
Mr.J: Go the other way. I'm waxing the floor here!
Mrs.A: *looks down at the ruined floor then continues to walk over it* Well, do it again.... asshole.

At this point, the stunned Mr.J began to defend himself verbally. Not sure exactly what was said, but its a guarantee that there were choice words involved.

A fuming Mrs.A then rushed back to the office area where she encountered the Administrator, of all people, and told him that If that man over there talks to me again like that I'll have his ass!!!!

Office staff then did damage control by distracting the woman and ushering her and her husband out through a more appropriate exit. (Strikes 2,3,4,5, infinity!)

.........

The Administrator wandered into the office a short while later and we had a good laugh over it all. Mrs.A took a card from me with my name and our company number shortly before she went completely insane. There is a good chance that she will be anticipating a call from us. When that doesn't come, I am sure she'll be the one to touch base. I can picture the conversation now.


WHAT I WILL SAY:
Mrs.A: I'm calling to follow up on the application that we filled out the other day.
Ms.B: I'm sorry. We are unable to offer your husband a job. Good luck!

WHAT I'D LIKE TO SAY:
Mrs.A: I'm calling to follow up on the application that we filled out the other day.
Ms.B: You crazy bitch! That guy you verbally assaulted in the hallway was the supervisor who would have hired your husband. Now that he knows you are completely off your rocker there is no way on earth he'll even consider contacting your husband for an interview. Happy Holidays! *click*

Ms.B

No comments: