Thursday, January 18, 2007

I'm starting to understand...

why people disregard the animal control laws in my state. DH and I recently moved a mere 10 miles away from our old location. We crossed a city line in the process and now our dogs are no longer licensed. The shock! The horror! So, in order to be a good little doggie owner, I called up the nearest animal control location to find out what I needed to do to get back in compliance. Alas, by moving across the city line, I was no longer supposed to license them at the place I called (which is a mile down the road). Instead, I have to drive 15 miles (!!) to the proper location. I have to take proof of sterilization, rabbies shot & since the monkey and wiener both have a microchip, I need the actual dogs as well so they can scan them and get the chip i.d. number. And since we moved a couple of months ago and didn't do this all within the 30 day time limit they wanted me to do it in, we will probably have to pay a higher licensing fee for the wiener. sigh It would be so much easier to just have the dogs illegally in our home and forget all about this whole "compliance with the law" business. Seriously now. No wonder there are so many iresponsible owners. If I wasn't such a poosy, I'd say "To hell with it." Alas, I suffer from guilt and will have to make the special trip on Saturday to get everything put right. Of course, I might just have to fib a bit about when we moved so that I don't have to pay an extra fee for waiting to register Chloe. I mean, heck, I need that money more than the state does, right? RIGHT?!? ....Right.

.........

Our second Puppy Class is this weekend. Gus was a super star the first day. I can already tell which dogs in the class will do well and which are going to be very naughty. There is a terrier (think Toto in Wizard of Oz) that is a little demon! He reminds me of my wiener, he is that naughty. Maybe even worse! I hope we don't end up sitting next to him in any future classes or Gus won't learn anything but evasive maneuvers. If we are lucky, we'll continue to sit next to Sunny, a sweet golden retriver puppy who has good energy. She doens't evoke the "Don Juan" in Gus that the little dachshie did a few weeks ago, but she's a sweetie just the same.

No comments: