Keeping a secret is a talent. Depending on the seriousness of the subject matter, it can kill you inside! I am lucky to fall into the category of people who are, in fact, able to keep a secret. At least, I can keep it if you TELL me its a secret. Otherwise I might just blab it to the world without realizing. Oops. My bad.
A few days ago a co-worker, J, took me to her office on the sly and told me she is quitting. J is one of the best employees our company has ever had and I am distressed with her leaving. She's a "good energy" type of person who doesn't wait for things to happen but instead jumps in and makes them happen. The type that you are grateful to have as a co-worker, yet hope that your boss doesn't compare you to them because you fear you'd never measure up.
I have mixed emotions about my secret. I am sad to see J go. She's been a support for me on both a professional and a personal level. My family wasn't able to attend my wedding, and J sat next to me that day before the ceremony in the place of my parents. If it wasn't for the friendship and support that she gave me I highly doubt that I'd have met and married the man I did. Yet, I know that she has great ambitions inside of her and I've always known this day was coming. She is moving to an impoverished country and doing volunteer work in an orphanage. Those children are going to be so blessed by her presence there, and I have no doubt in my mind that she will be equally touched by them. But still, it is hard to see her go. I know it won't be the same here without her. We have to share her with the world. Boo for sharing. sigh
I've posted her job opening on the necessary websites and arranged for it to run in the local newspaper this weekend. I've had to do this all in secrecy, however, because she hasn't yet made the formal announcement that she is leaving. I've spent the morning smuggling resumes and applications into her office. I am grateful that I won't be involved in the decision of who will replace her. No one would even come close. What can I say, I'm biased.
Wednesday, January 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








No comments:
Post a Comment