Tuesday, May 15, 2007

And the Beat(ing) Rolls On

Yet even more reasons that the Western Conference games are extra exciting. Only this time, the respect with which I say that is directed at the teams in the Eastern Conference. What is up with all the dirty play in the last couple of games? I know the Jazz used to have a rep for playing hard (NOT dirty, just hard... make you earn your points, yo!) but it was the Warriors that disappointed me in game 4. Flagrant fouls left and right as well as that Davis/Fisher contact. I saw the replay numerous times and it didn't look like an accident to me.

"Oops! I just turned and saw you looking the other way so I stuck my shoulder where your face would hit it. My bad."

The worst of it is that Fisher considers Davis a friend. They were teammates for 2 years, for crying out loud. And its FISHER. Everyone loves that guy. He's the spokesman for the players in the league and never mind about the "Disney-esque" story of his family life right now.

And what was up with the foul on Okur? Yes, he was driving to the basket while his team was up. But wouldn't you want to expand the lead against one of the best 3-point shooting teams in the league? Never mind that Barron Davis thunder-dunked on Kirelinko in game 3 while up by about 20-something points with only a few minutes left in the game. Not cool. Not classy. I don't think that Richardson meant to deliver quite that strong a blow, but he did it never the less. And he should be accountable. I don't feel bad that he was tossed. I know teams periodically get a flagrant from time to time. Teams play hard. That's why I don't worry about the flagrant foul in the 3rd quarter when Boozer almost got his head taken off. Sometimes you have to play hard against a hard player. But there are limits.

Tonight's Game 5 should be very exciting. Which young team will step it up? Will the Warriors rise up against the threat of summer vacation, or will the Jazz mature to the point of being able to close out a series in 5 games?

I would like to point out that after the game was over that Fisher and Okur made light of the fouls and said they wanted to focus on the game ahead, that there wasn't a problem with Davis or Richardson. Regardless of whether or not they think those two were out of line, they kept their cool.

Which brings me back to Stoudemire on the Suns. I still think he was wrong to call out the nasty tactics of the Spurs in the media. HOWEVER, I watched game 4 of that series last night and I now see where he is coming from. When did the Spurs turn into dirt bags? I used to really respect them and think they were great. My love for them died during last nights brawl. I'm so sad!! Popovich, get your men under control!!

But at least now I can cheer for the Suns again with less guilt over Stoudemire's comments.

Congrats to the Bulls on warding off a sweep. I will be cheering for you tonight to stay alive. Remember, I do love an underdog.

Ms.B

No comments: